Most women dread their monthlies and relax once they pass.
Do we ever think if this is a natural phenomenon, why is it so unwanted? If this is how our bodies are naturally equipped to let go of unwanted, why is this so unpleasant?
As Founder of THE PERIOD HUB, which is actively working on Redefining Period Experience, I believe that Periods should not become a hindrance in any girl’s or woman’s daily chores. If that’s so, it’s time you look back and reconsider your Period Care regime. Since we bleed for half of our lives, it is all the more important that we pause, self-observe and address the discomforts we face during our Menstrual Cycles.
While we think of PMS, Cramps or Nausea as the foremost reasons for Period Woes, if we take a step back and evaluate the choices we make to manage our periods, and in doing so, we expose our bodies to some of the very toxic and harmful chemicals during these 5 days.
We woman menstruate for around 460 times and end up using around 16,800 pads in our lifetime. Which means we also expose ourselves to the plastics and chemicals in them these many times.
Wait, did I say plastics and chemicals in our pad??? Yes!!!
Did you know your conventional sanitary pad is about 90% plastic and plastic derivatives? Which is equivalent to about 4 medium sized polythene bags…and till now you thought it is a cottony feel pad
The chemicals in them are:
- Dioxin: a known carcinogen, is a by-product of the bleaching process used for manufacturing of sanitary napkins, tampons. It starts to accumulate in our fat stores, once it is exposed to our bodies. This has been related to impaired fertility, pelvic inflammatory disease, hormone dysfunction, immune system dysfunction, early menopause, impaired thyroid, and abnormal reproductive functions.
- Rayon: it is a synthetic fibre that is commonly chlorine bleached to enhance absorbency. It can lead to nausea, vomiting, headaches and chest pain. Synthetic petrochemical materials do not let the skin breathe, hence increased risk of bacterial growth.
- Super Absorbent Polymers (SAP): The most famous gel that keeps you dry for a longer period is actually the one which unknowingly enables you to use a pad for prolonged periods resulting in a perfect breeding ground for bacteria. SAP has been linked to infertility in women
- Pesticides and Herbicides: these are sprayed on cotton crops and stay long after crops have been harvested. These chemicals enter directly in our bloodstream.
- Artificial fragrance and deodorants: these are added to sanitary napkins during the manufacturing process to act as odor neutralizers. On the flip side, these contribute in the stench that you smell while on periods. They can cause allergies and skin reactions.
These reasons were enough for me to switch from the market variants of sanitary napkins to reusable Cloth Pads and Menstrual Cups. It’s been 6 years that I made a switch and I feel liberated in true sense!!
Are you one of those who is simply sailing through every month and is oblivious of the fact that these chemically laden pads, creating havoc to your reproductive system? Are you waiting for your body to succumb one fine day?
Take Charge – Time to Rethink!!